A Brief History of Our Lodge and Building
Jerusalem Temple Lodge was chartered
by the Grand Lodge of New York, F.&A.M. on June 12, 1872. Over the years it has provided many
valuable services to the community through its service projects and charitable works. Three District
Deputy Grand Masters and twelve other Grand Lodge officers have hailed from Jerusalem Temple Lodge.
The lodge originally met in nearby Cornwall. In 1924, the lodge
purchased and relocated to the Mountainville Grange Hall where
it still meets today. In 1996, this community landmark was added
to the National Register of Historic Places.
This is our listing with the National Register of Historic Places (click here to see the site):
Mountainville Grange Hall (added 1996 - Building - #96000557)
Also known as Cornwall Masonic Temple
NY 32, S of jct. with Creamery Rd., Cornwall
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1900-1924
Historic Function: Social
Historic Sub-function: Meeting Hall
Current Function: Social
Current Sub-function: Meeting Hall
Jerusalem Temple Lodge has prepared a brochure about its history. Here is an excerpt:
"Masonry in the Town of Cornwall is known to have been present during the Revolutionary War era. There is a record of at least one traveling Masonic Lodge amongst the soldiers in the vicinity of West Point, which was then located in the Town of Cornwall. In the year 1815, a number of Masonic residents in the Town of Cornwall assembled in the Village of Canterbury, now Cornwall, and took the preliminary steps for organizing a Lodge..."
To download or view the entire brochure as a pdf file, click here.
Click to view a larger image